posts - 81, comments - 257, trackbacks - 0

Crashplan and Volume Shadow Copy Errors (Fixed)

For the longest time I have been logging Volume Shadow Copy (VSS) errors in my Windows Application log every few seconds. I use Crashplan to back up my machine online – other than those errors I have been very happy with it. I didn't have much luck trying to fix the error previously and have been living with it until I stumbled upon the fix.

When cleaning up space on C:\, I noticed the Crashplan cache was consuming a lot of space (9 GB on an SSD in my case). I moved the cache to the backup drive (a 3 TB USB 3 attached disk) and the errors ceased. Surprise!

If you have a log full of VSS errors try moving your Crashplan cache to another drive. You can change the location by editing the node cachepath in ProgramData\CrashPlan\conf\my.service.xml. In my case I have it on the same drive as the backup destinations (\temp\cache). Be sure to cycle the crash plan service for the change to take.

Some useful links on the error

The VSS errors which I was receiving:

Description:

Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Error calling a routine on the Shadow Copy Provider {b5946137-7b9f-4925-af80-51abd60b20d5}. Routine returned E_INVALIDARG. Routine details GetSnapshot({00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000},0000000000358EB0).

Operation:
Get Shadow Copy Properties

Context:
Execution Context: Coordinator

Print | posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2012 4:12 PM |

Feedback

# re: Crashplan and Volume Shadow Copy Errors (Fixed)

Thank you so very much for this posting. I have spent the last several months trying to track down Office 2010 freezes, particularly Outlook "not responding", all kinds of backup issues with Acronis, Symantec and Macrium. Win 7 64 bit.

Last night I turned off backup open files in CrashPllan settings. I actually have a clean event log since I did it and rebooted. I can finally go on with my work at a reasonably fast pace and stop trying to track down errors in the event log. Microsoft took control of my machine and cleaned up several things, crashplan was running the whole time.....they never say that it might be causing problems, or asked about it.

Now I'm going after the cache!

Do you know whether most cloud backups cause this and similar problems as well or is it something specific to CrashPlan?

Thanks again

Madeline
1/23/2013 10:09 PM | madeline

# re: Crashplan and Volume Shadow Copy Errors (Fixed)

I am glad to read that article post. Great concept and story as well.
2/20/2013 7:34 AM | Edinburgh Apartments

# re: Crashplan and Volume Shadow Copy Errors (Fixed)

Great to have a visit on this website. All the information shared here is fantastic.
4/4/2013 1:57 AM | Stools Melbourne

4/9/2013 4:46 AM | Car hire

# re:

It's a very interesting feature, I will surely use it for a while
4/17/2013 12:12 PM | Felicia

# re: Crashplan and Volume Shadow Copy Errors (Fixed)

Thank you so much for this insight, my event viewer log had this type of error every few minutes:

Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Error calling a routine on the Shadow Copy Provider {b5946137-7b9f-4925-af80-51abd60b20d5}. Routine returned E_INVALIDARG. Routine details GetSnapshot({00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000},00000000001BBE30).

My suspicion is that it is causing the freezes in my Windows 7 64 Bit setup described above. I have just now turned off backup open files in Crashplan and will see how it works. However, I would like to use the open files backup feature. I don't have an external or third drive as a backup. In addition to crashplan, I backup to another computer on my network. (I know, very compulsive! I also have a second mirrored drive with an intel raid controller in case of drive failure.)

Since I don't have a separate backup drive, what would I set my cachepath to in Crashplan's program data in order to stop the VSS errors?
4/24/2013 10:02 AM | rickyh

# re: Crashplan and Volume Shadow Copy Errors (Fixed)

I really wanted to lose weight in a natural method. I'm delighted I have actually found out about Lycium Barbarum by reviewing charlesrcook. It's not simply a delicious berry but the solution to my problem.
8/23/2013 8:15 PM | Lycium Barbarum

# re: Crashplan and Volume Shadow Copy Errors (Fixed)

Thanks, I've been noticing this error forever!
12/15/2013 12:13 AM | Dovid

# re: Crashplan and Volume Shadow Copy Errors (Fixed)

In my case I was receiving this error every 10 seconds. After reading your article I stopped the crashplan service, deleted all the files in the cash directory and then started the crashplan service
4/8/2014 11:22 AM | brad

# Avi

Nice post.thanks for sharing.it is great that to be nourishing its content of article for an super statical boost of technology.
5/13/2014 6:42 AM | Mozilla Firefox Plugins

# re: Crashplan and Volume Shadow Copy Errors (Fixed)

Thank you so much for this!
1/26/2015 1:45 PM | matt

# re: Crashplan and Volume Shadow Copy Errors (Fixed)

I tried to change the cachepath to another local drive but every time I restarted the CrashPlan service, it reset it back to the C drive.
I then tried Brad's idea by deleting the items in the Cache folder, and that seemed to fix the problem.

I first stopped the service, then deleted the folder items. After restarting the Crashplan service, Crashplan had to resync some info, but after about 30 minutes, it all started working without the VSS event errors. Thanks Brad!
2/12/2015 10:07 AM | John

# re: Crashplan and Volume Shadow Copy Errors (Fixed)

I changed the cache to another drive but I am still getting the VSS Event Errors.

Any other suggestions?
3/18/2015 4:43 PM | B. Moore

# re: Crashplan and Volume Shadow Copy Errors (Fixed)

I managed to fix this by adding Thumbs.db to the backup exclusion list.

To make sure this helps you, go to the Crashplan client log folder, open the latest backup_files.log file and search for any lines starting with W (most of the lines start with I which means a successful backup). If this line refers to HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy, you can find the offending file from the end of the line. For me these were varying instances of Thumbs.db and excluding it from backup (via excluded filenames) fixed the VSS errors and also allowed the backup to proceed to 100% completion.
9/19/2016 3:40 AM | Pekka S

# re: Crashplan and Volume Shadow Copy Errors (Fixed)

I know I'm late to the party on this one, but huge thank you for this article. Windows Explorer has been randomly crashing and restarting on me. I've been living with it because it's not really been causing much trouble, but it reorganizes my Desktop icons every time it does and it's started to drive me insane. I finally checked my event logs and was shocked to see this error every minute. FIXED!
so awesome